Thursday, June 4, 2009

Beanie Pattern

Well, the cold has certainly settled on Melbourne town...and boy is it freezing.
I thought now would be a perfect time to bust out my knitting needles and use up some of my large wool stash, and one of my favourite projects to work on is hats.
I find they are the perfect size project to keep you entertained, and they usually get finished before you get sick of it and want to switch to something else :)
I have a buddy whose noggin was in definite need of warming up, so with that in mind I came up with a pattern for a super quick boy suitable beanie!



I love making berets and hats in the round using double pointed and circular needles, but for this project I wanted something that didn't require much concentration, so I decided to use standard needles, knit it flat and seam up at the end.
I found a big ball of chunky grey wool in my stash that I got from the op-shop, but it didn't have a tag so I don't know what ply it is. Basically you can use any bulky weight wool that knits up to equal 11stitches per 10cm across in stockinette.

Wool: Chunky weight
Needles: 6.5 mm
Gauge: 11st equals 10cm

Cast on 52 stitches

work double rib until piece measures 20cm long
(double rib = all rows: *k2, p2* across work)

next row: *k2, p2together*
next row: *p2together* purl last stitch
next row: *k2together*
next row: *p2together*

Leaving about 30cm of yarn, cut off and weave through remaining stitches, pull tight and tie off.
Stitch the two sides together and you're all done!

If you have any questions about the pattern, or if something doesn't make sense let me know. I think the pattern is ok, but I haven't made a second beanie yet so there might be a little kink in there somewhere :)


I think I like it so much I'm going to have to make myself one.....back to the knitting needles!

2 comments:

M said...

It is so funny to read blogs from people who are starting winter when we are starting summer... It feels like something is out of place, and then you think..'oh, wait, no...of course, it is cold in there'

I love your scarf!

Poppet said...

i know what you mean!
all my favourite northern hemisphere blogs are so summery at the moment.
i think i'm getting season envy :)