Thursday, March 12, 2009

Hot Cross Fun!!!

I've been getting domestic urges of late; which if you know me you know this is quite strange. I've been doing things like cleaning out cupboards and re-organising the kitchen on my days off (weird right?) All this good-housekeeping business came to a head on Tuesday when I got the urge to do some baking.
When I was a kid it seems like I was always making biscuits or muffins or trying again and again to make a good caramel slice but always having the goo be not quite gooey enough (i gave up many years ago in trying to get it right; and believe I may go to my grave without ever conquering the mysterious beast known as caramel slice!)
Anyway....since I've had the shop I've found I haven't really had time to be baking as much, which is a shame because I always loved it. So I decided to set aside a few hours on my weekend to make something delicious.....Hot Cross Buns!
I'd never made these (or any bready product before) so I was a bit nervous as to how they would turn out, but low and behold....the yeast worked it's magic and I got to watch my mixture grow and grow. Then I got to kneed and shape and hold my breath as they baked



Ta Da!
They're pretty tasty but I think the recipe could have used a bit more sugar because I like my buns nice and sweet (that's why I put chocolate in as well as sultanas...yay)
So that's my adventures in baking for this week!
I hope I didn't make you too hungry with all the food talk

2 comments:

Ben said...

yum!

Vintage Verve said...

Wow! I'm very impressed, but not suprised that your creative talent extends to the kitchen!

xx VV